Friday, March 20, 2009

Surgery Confirmed

Well, I got the news this afternoon that my surgery has finally been set. I have to go see an ENT doctor first to make sure my vocal cords are working properly. Yeah, weird right? Apparently, there is a nerve that controls your vocal cords and the last time I had this surgery, my voice changed. We're not sure if my voice changed back to normal or if everyone, including myself, got used to the new voice. Anyway, I guess there's always a chance they could stress, tear, or cut the nerve. How? Apparently they can't see the nerve while they do the surgery.

They are doing the same procedure as last time, opening up my throat (like a tracheotomy) and removing the damaged disk (at C5-C6). In its place they will put a cadaver bone. Then they have to remove the metal plate and screws that already exist in my neck and then put a new plate in that will hold all three vertebrae in place.

I asked the doctor why I couldn't have a synthetic disk instead of a bone graph. He said if I had the money to go to Europe then he would recommend I go there because their technology is about 5-6 years ahead of the U.S. So, he doesn't do the synthetic disks, he does the bone graphs.

The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, April 14th at Barrows Neurological Institute in Phoenix (St. Joseph's Hospital).

1 comment:

Shelly Beutler said...

WOW! Only March, and I would say your family has had quite an eventful year . . .just skip to the end! I can't imagine Mike with a different voice, and wish him all the best with this upcoming surgery. We will definitely have all of you in our prayers! Love you!